Tuesday, May 8th (2012): The Shangri-La Toronto’s new art installation was revealed and Chef Matt Blondin is reportedly leaving Acadia.
- Later tonight (Tuesday, May 8th) Mary Symons will throw a reception for ‘Roger Vivier: Process to Perfection‘ at the Bata Shoe Museum. Vivier Artistic Director Bruno Frisoni will be in attendance.
- On Sunday, the SPARK Gala, a fundraising event hosted by the Children’s Aid Foundation, raised $400,000 to benefit disadvantaged children and youth living in the child welfare system.
- TORO Magazine celebrated Cinco De Mayo with an event at the Monarch Tavern on Clinton St.
- On Wednesday, Lauren Bush Lauren (niece of George Bush and wife of Ralph Lauren’s son) will visit Holt Renfrew to launch ‘Tory Burch + FEED’ bags.
- The Shangri-La Toronto will launch later this summer – but this past week, the hotel held a grand reveal for its ‘Rising’ street-side art installation by acclaimed artist Zhang Huan.
- The much-anticipated 2012 Met Ball took place last night in New York.
Food & Drink
- BlogTO reports Guirei Japanese Restaurant at Queen’s Quay and Bathurst has been shut down following a health inspector’s findings that the restaurant “failed to prevent a rodent infestation.”
- According to RestaurantNews, Chef Matt Blondin is leaving Acadia, the much-heralded Southern resto on College West. His last day as Executive Chef will be on May 31st. There are also rumours that he might join Momofuku when it opens later this summer.
- Mayor Rob Ford has decided not to attend a Pride outreach event.
- Maurice Sendak, author of ‘Where the Wild Things are,’ has passed away.
- Drake and Tyra Banks have sparked rumours they’re dating after they were seen together at Disneyland.
- The CBC announced its fall TV lineup will contain 175 fewer hours of original content.